
Theater: NovelMaster | Language: English | NEW
Synopsis
Everyone assumed I jumped from the eighteenth floor of the Hayes family penthouse because of postpartum depression.
Only I knew the true breaking point. It was what I overheard my husband, Julian, telling the love of his life:
"She's nothing more than a glorified housekeeper looking after my estate. Once she delivers the baby, whenever you want to come back, I'll kick her to the curb."
That night, the shock sent me into premature labor. While I fought for my life in the delivery room, Julian was off celebrating her birthday.
After my baby was born, my heart had turned to ash. I walked out onto the balcony and threw myself into the void.
As the paramedics fought to revive me on the pavement, I vaguely heard a nurse sigh:
"Julian Hayes just announced their divorce on social media. He claimed he's finally got his freedom back."
In that final instant, only one thought consumed me: "If I ever get a second chance, I will never choose him again."
When I opened my eyes, a breathtaking sea of crimson roses filled my vision.
Julian was down on one knee before me, holding an open velvet box with a sparkling diamond ring. "Chloe, will you marry me?"
Staring down at his hypocritical face, I took an immediate step back.
"No."
Julian froze.
He looked up at me, his eyes wide with disbelief.
"Chloe, what kind of joke is this?"
He chuckled awkwardly, rising to his feet and reaching for my hand.
I took another step back, avoiding his touch.
"I'm not joking."
A breeze swept through the valley, rustling the thousands of rose petals scattered across the ground.
"I'm not marrying you."
The sound of the wind rushing past my ears as I fell from that eighteenth-floor balcony in my past life was still terrifyingly vivid.
I remembered the sickening crunch of my bones shattering against the concrete.
I remembered my very last thought before slipping into darkness: "I should never have chosen him."
Now that fate had handed me a clean slate, why would I ever walk down that same doomed path again?
The cheering and clapping from the surrounding crowd died instantly.
The friends, colleagues, and even the media reporters Julian had invited to witness his grand proposal exchanged bewildered glances.
The smile on Julian's face finally cracked.
He squeezed the ring box in his fist until his knuckles turned white.
"Did I do something wrong?"
He took a step toward me, lowering his voice with an edge of desperation.
"Is the setup not right? Do you dislike red roses? Tell me, and I'll have them redo everything."
I looked at him without saying a word.
"Chloe, speak to me."
He used my full name, his brows furrowing into a tight knot.
"Tell me what I did wrong. I'll fix it."
He reached out to grab my hand again, but I sidestepped him once more.
"What is wrong with you? Everything was fine when we left the house this morning."
I parted my lips, but before I could say a word, a soft, familiar voice drifted from behind the crowd.
"Chloe, isn't this a bit much?"
Natalie Cross clicked her stilettos through the crowd, making her way directly to Julian's side.
She wore a delicate, baby-blue dress, her soft curls cascading over her shoulders, looking as fragile as a porcelain doll.
She looped her arm naturally through Julian's, looking up at me with wide, innocent eyes.
"Is this because of me?"
"Julian and I are just close friends. Are you jealous?"
The looks people threw at me shifted instantly.
Everyone in our circle knew Natalie was Julian's childhood sweetheart.
His forever untouchable white moonlight.
Their inseparable bond was something everyone took for granted.
With just a few words, Natalie had successfully painted me as an unreasonable, paranoid shrew.
Staring at her delicate face, memories from my past life hit me like a tidal wave.
This was the very face that had nestled against Julian's chest, laughing triumphantly.
This was the woman who moved into Julian's mansion the moment my body went cold.
The corners of my mouth curled into a mocking smile.
"Because of you?"
"You're not that important."
Natalie's face drained of color, and her eyes welled up with tears in an instant.
Biting her lower lip, she turned toward Julian, playing the wounded victim to absolute perfection.
"Julian... maybe I shouldn't have come."
Her voice trembled as if she were about to burst into tears.
Julian's expression darkened immediately.
He gently pulled away from Natalie's grip, turned to me, and snapped with undisguised irritation:
"Chloe, can't you be a little more mature?"
"If you have an issue, we can discuss it in private! Did you really have to humiliate her in front of all these people?"
Watching him leap to Natalie's defense, I suddenly found it hilarious.
It was just like my past life.
Every single time.
As long as Natalie shed a single tear, I was automatically the villain.
I took a deep, steady breath, shoving down the bitter grief inside my chest.
"There's no need.""We have nothing left to discuss."
I turned on my heel and walked away.
Julian's voice boomed from behind me. "Chloe!"
I didn't look back.
The wind picked up, sending rose petals scattering after my footsteps.
The luxury penthouse Julian had bought for me sat in the most exclusive high-rise downtown.
The floor-to-ceiling windows offered an unobstructed view of the river and the glittering city skyline.
I had lived here for three whole years.
Back when we first started dating, he brought me here to see the place.
He stood behind me by the massive glass window, wrapping his arms around my waist and resting his chin on my shoulder.
"Chloe, this is your home now."
Later, when we talked about marriage, he bought another villa in the southern suburbs.
"I bought that estate you liked so much."
Back then, I had been touched to the verge of tears, genuinely believing that meeting him was the greatest blessing of my life.
It was only much later that I discovered Natalie owned a villa in the northern suburbs.
Same layout. Same square footage.
And she owned an identical penthouse in this very building.
Same river view. Same floor-to-ceiling windows.
Everything Julian had ever given me, he had gifted to her first.
Before uncovering his betrayal, I had genuinely believed they were just close friends.
After all, they grew up together. It seemed normal for them to be close.
I had even poured her wine and served her appetizers with a warm smile whenever we all hung out.
How utterly pathetic.
Until that evening, when I was nine months pregnant.
I went into Julian's home office looking for a document.
The door was slightly ajar, and his voice drifted out from inside:
"She's nothing more than a glorified housekeeper looking after my estate. Once she delivers the baby, whenever you want to come back, I'll kick her to the curb."
Standing outside that door, a loud buzzing filled my ears.
The glass of water in my hands slipped and shattered on the hardwood floor.
The noise startled him, but Julian merely opened the door and glanced down.
"Why are you being so clumsy?"
When I asked who he had been talking to, he casually lied and said it was a business client.
That night was Natalie's birthday.
While he was by her side helping her blow out the candles, I was in the ICU delivery room, bleeding out.
Those memories were so sharp and raw that standing in this living room made my entire body shudder with cold.
I walked into the bedroom, yanked open the closet, and dragged out my suitcase.
Clothes, passport, IDs, bank cards.
I didn't have much to take.
Over the past three years, nearly everything in this place had been bought by Julian.
Just as I zipped the inner compartment, the front door clicked open.
Julian was back.
The moment he stepped into the bedroom and saw the suitcase on the bed, his face fell.
"What kind of drama are you pulling now?"
He tossed his suit jacket onto the armchair and stormed into the room.
"You said you loved roses, so I spent a fortune on that entire valley just for you today. Why are you still not satisfied?"
My hands paused for a fraction of a second.
Yes, I had once mentioned loving roses.
A long time ago, when we first started dating, we passed by a boutique flower shop.
I had casually murmured that the red roses looked lovely.
He had memorized that offhand remark.
From that day on, every Valentine's Day, birthday, and anniversary came with an ocean of roses.
Back then, whatever I wished for, he would deliver.
If I craved takeout in the middle of the night, he would drive across town to get it.
If I mentioned wanting a vacation, flight tickets were booked by the next morning.
I thought that was love.
Now I realized it was nothing more than a golden cage of control.
Pulling myself together, I continued tossing my clothes into the bag.
"I'm not pulling drama."
"I'm just not marrying you."Julian slammed his hand down on the lid of my suitcase, preventing me from zipping it shut.
"Why are we doing this breakup routine again?"
His voice dripped with exhaustion and annoyance.
"This is the tenth time, Chloe. Can't you grow up for once?"
We really had broken up several times before.
Because he crossed boundaries with Natalie, because he ditched my birthday dinner to pick her up from the airport, because of a thousand little cuts.
Every single time I tried to leave, he would coax me back.
Expensive gifts, home-cooked dinners, sweet promises.
My heart would soften, and I would crawl right back into his arms.
Over and over again.
He assumed today was no different.
"This time is different."
I pulled his hand away and zipped the suitcase shut.
"We are done. We won't be seeing each other ever again."
"You can keep this apartment."
I glanced around the luxurious penthouse I had called home for three years.
"Anything tied to you, I don't want."
Julian's confident expression finally cracked.
"What is your problem?"
He blocked the bedroom doorway, his tall frame looming over me.
"Everything was fine this morning! Why are you suddenly calling it quits?"
Looking at him, a deep wave of exhaustion washed over me.
What was there to explain?
If I called out his emotional affair, he would deny it.
If I brought up Natalie, he would accuse me of being insecure.
Nothing I said would ever make a difference.
Just as I opened my mouth, the doorbell chimed.
Julian stepped away to answer it.
Natalie stood in the foyer, holding a bag of gourmet fruit.
Seeing me standing with my packed suitcase, a fleeting spark of smugness flashed across her eyes.
"What's going on here?"
She set the fruit down on the console table and walked in with an expression of pure, sisterly concern.
"Chloe, are you fighting with Julian and threatening to break up again?"
Then her tone shifted, dripping with subtle venom.
"Dumping him on the very day he proposes?"
"Don't tell me you've got someone on the side and you're feeling guilty?"
"Julian treats you like royalty. How could you be so ungrateful and step out on him?"
The living room fell dead silent.
Julian turned his head to glare at me, his gaze turning suspicious.
"Is she telling the truth?"
A dry laugh escaped my throat.
"You actually believe whatever garbage comes out of her mouth?"
Natalie shrank back immediately, trembling as if she were terrified of me.
"I... I was just guessing..."
"I'm leaving."
I grabbed the handle of my luggage and moved toward the door.
Natalie spoke up again.
"Chloe, why don't you ever appreciate what you have?"
She leaned slightly against Julian's arm, acting like the voice of reason.
"Julian spent an entire month planning today's proposal. Do you have any idea how much effort he put in?"
I stopped in my tracks.
I turned around and locked eyes with her.
"If we break up, shouldn't you be throwing a party?"
Natalie blinked, startled.
I went on, "After all, Julian will be completely free."
"Isn't that the exact day you've been praying for?"
Natalie's face drained of color for a second.
She quickly regained her composure, pursing her lips into silence.
But my peripheral vision caught a glint of light.
On the ring finger of her left hand, a massive diamond caught the chandelier's glow.
I narrowed my eyes and took a closer look.
I recognized that ring instantly.
It was the exact diamond ring Julian had used to propose to me less than two hours ago.
Now, it was sitting snugly on Natalie's finger.
"Nice ring."
I walked over and grabbed her left wrist.
Natalie gasped and yanked her arm back, hiding her hand behind her back.
"What are you talking about?"
Julian looked over, a trace of awkward guilt flickering across his face.
"Chloe, don't start making things up."
I wrenched Natalie's hand forward and held it up right before Julian's face.
"Then explain this."
Under the bright living room lights, the diamond sparkled brilliantly.
The very same ring.
Identical.
Natalie's cheeks flushed crimson, and she struggled desperately to pull her hand away.
"I was just... just trying it on!"
"I didn't mean anything by it!"
Her voice trembled, tears instantly welling in her eyes again.
Julian frowned, giving her an annoyed glance before turning to me with a softened, conciliatory tone:
"She just liked the cut and tried it on for a second."
"I'll buy you an even bigger one tomorrow."
Natalie immediately moved to slide the ring off her finger.
"I'm sorry, Chloe. Here, take it back."
I stepped back, refusing to touch it.
"Keep it."
"You two deserve each other."I picked up my suitcase and headed straight for the foyer.
Julian lunged forward and snatched the handle from my grip.
"Stop throwing a tantrum!"
"Go take a nap in the bedroom. I'll cook dinner for you."
He pushed me gently toward the hallway while setting my luggage aside.
"You're in a bad mood today, I get it."
"But you can't just throw around the word 'breakup' whenever you feel like it."
He rolled up his sleeves and headed toward the kitchen.
"Do you want garlic butter salmon or braised short ribs?"
I stood frozen in the living room, staring at his retreating back.
Over the past three years, he had cooked for me countless times.
Whenever we had a fight, he would whip up a gourmet feast.
And every single time, I would sit at that dining table, eat his food, and let my resolve melt away.
Not this time.
Suddenly, Natalie stepped out of the bedroom and softly pulled the door shut behind her.
She leaned against the doorframe, holding a glass of water.
"You two look quite nice together."
She pointed with her chin toward the framed portrait on the nightstand.
It was our formal photoshoot from last year—me in an ivory designer gown, Julian in a crisp tuxedo, smiling brightly.
She picked up the frame, tilting her head as she studied it.
"Do you know who Julian originally wanted to take these photos with?"
My fingers curled into fists.
"With me."
Natalie set the frame down, her voice as breezy as someone discussing the weather.
"I turned him down, of course. I thought it was inappropriate."
She turned around to face me, a faint, condescending smirk playing on her lips.
"Do you know why Julian chose to be with you?"
I said nothing.
"Because you're obedient."
She strolled over and sat on the edge of the mattress next to me.
"You're easy to manage. You don't burn through his cash, and you don't stir up trouble."
"He needs someone to manage his household and give him a stable base."
"You checked all the boxes."
She tilted her head, watching me like a scientist studying a lab rat.
"But he could never bring himself to cut ties with me."
"Men will be men, Chloe."
"A powerful man is never going to tie himself to a single tree."
My nails bit into my palms.
"Are you done?"
Natalie batted her eyelashes innocently.
"I'm just giving you a reality check."
"You shouldn't be kept in the dark."
Her voice turned sugary sweet, pretending to have my best interests at heart.
"Julian actually treats you pretty well. He never starves you of material luxury."
"Why be so stubborn?"
I stood up and stared down at her.
"Natalie Cross."
"A woman who has to sneak on another woman's engagement ring."
"A woman who relies entirely on acting like a fragile damsel in distress to beg for pity."
"Who gives you the right to lecture me?"
Natalie's smug expression instantly vanished.
"You're nothing more than another bird he keeps locked in a cage."
I gripped my suitcase handle and walked out without looking back.
Natalie called after me from the bedroom:
"Do you really think he'll chase after you once you walk out that door?"
"He never chases anyone."
I didn't slow my pace.
As I reached the living room, Julian emerged from the kitchen wearing an apron, his hands dusted with flour.
"Why are you still holding that bag?"
Seeing the suitcase in my hand, his brow furrowed deeply.
"I already told you, whatever I did wrong, I'll fix it."
"It's dark outside. I worry about you being out there alone."
He reached out and grabbed my wrist with considerable force.
"Be good. Put the bag away."
"We'll sit down and talk after dinner."
I violently ripped my wrist from his grasp.
"In this lifetime, I will never have anything to do with you ever again."
"Drop the pathetic act."
Julian's face darkened completely.
"Chloe, how far are you planning to push this?"
"You humiliated me by rejecting my proposal in front of hundreds of people, and now you're running away with your bags."
"Do you really think playing these mind games is fun?"
Staring at him, I suddenly found the man standing before me utterly repulsive.
"Go check the security camera in the bedroom."
Julian paused. "What do you mean?"
"Go look for yourself."
I had installed a hidden pet monitor in the bedroom a few months ago.
Standing in the hallway, Natalie's face instantly turned paper-white.
Every single word she had whispered to me moments ago had been captured in crystal-clear audio and video.
Julian strode into the bedroom, grabbed the monitor, and hit playback.
Natalie's smug voice rang out through the speakers:
"Do you know why Julian chose to be with you? Because you're obedient, easy to manage, and don't burn through his cash..."
"He could never bring himself to cut ties with me..."
"Men will be men, Chloe. A powerful man is never going to tie himself to a single tree."
Chapters (4)
Chapter 1 Chapter 2 Chapter 3 Chapter 4
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Watch & Promotions
- Search this code in the NovelMaster app:
535975Open NovelMaster → Search code → Find the title