ZMMTV-BBS - TV & Drama Community

My Wife Gave My Son’s Heart To Her Friend’s Son

GoodNovel · English · Theater: GoodNovel, Lang: English ·

Theater: GoodNovel  |  Language: English

Synopsis

Ten years ago, my ex-wife, Hailey Anderson, secretly signed an organ donation agreement without my knowledge.

She donated the heart of our son, Jayden Smith, to her lover, Seth Parker’s dying son, Charlie Parker.

When I arrived at the hospital, Jayden’s body was already in the cold morgue.

Hailey was waiting outside another ward. She teared up in joy when Charlie regained his heartbeat.

On the day of Jayden’s burial, I signed the divorce agreement. Then, I changed my name and left the city.

After ten years of excruciatingly hard work, I specialized in cardiovascular surgery.

Other than inventing the first fully implantable artificial heart, I also became the top surgeon globally.

Many wealthy people begged me to save their lives.

One day, my assistant, Finn Reid, passed me the latest emergency name list for a heart transplant.

The first patient in need of a heart was Charlie.

Charlie was in a critical condition due to an acute rejection of Jayden’s stolen heart.

I was the only doctor who was able to carry out that surgery.

Without expression, I picked up my red pen and slashed a big cross on his application form.

“I’m not operating on this patient.”

Chapters (1)

Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Ten years ago, my ex-wife, Hailey Anderson, secretly signed an organ donation agreement without my knowledge. She donated the heart of our son, Jayden Smith, to her lover, Seth Parker’s dying son, Charlie Parker. When I arrived at the hospital, Jayden’s body was already in the cold morgue. Hailey was waiting outside another ward. She teared up in joy when Charlie regained his heartbeat. On the day of Jayden’s burial, I signed the divorce agreement. Then, I changed my name and left the city. After ten years of excruciatingly hard work, I specialized in cardiovascular surgery. Other than inventing the first fully implantable artificial heart, I also became the top surgeon globally. Many wealthy people begged me to save their lives. One day, my assistant, Finn Reid, passed me the latest emergency name list for a heart transplant. The first patient in need of a heart was Charlie. Charlie was in a critical condition due to an acute rejection of Jayden’s stolen heart. I was the only doctor who was able to carry out that surgery. Without expression, I picked up my red pen and slashed a big cross on his application form. “I’m not operating on this patient.” Chapter 1 “Dr. Scott, he’s from the Parker family.” My assistant, Finn Reid, stared at that red cross intently as his voice trembled. Both of his hands were pressing against the edge of my desk. “Hailey has said that the surgery fee isn’t a problem. “As long as you’re willing to take the case, she’s willing to sponsor the hospital research fee for the entire year.” I did not look at him. I stared intently at the name under my red cross, Charlie Parker. It had been ten years. His name was not just written on that paper. It was also carved in my heart. Ten years ago on that fateful stormy night, the light in the morgue had been blindingly white as a cold wind blew across my face. I pushed the heavy metal door open. My son, Jayden Smith, lay there with a white cloth covering his body. I flipped the white cloth open and saw a dent in Jayden’s chest. The long stitches were terrifying to look at. His heart was gone. Dried blood remained on his chest. I folded his application form and tossed it into the shredder. “Blacklist him.” Finn looked extremely anxious. “Dr. Scott, it’s a life. “In the entire continent, only the artificial heart that you invented could save him. “You didn’t even glance at the medical records. You’re not like this usually!” I looked up. Finn gulped and took a step back. “Get out.” Finn clenched his teeth and turned to open the office door. At the same time, my work phone started ringing. On the screen, it indicated that it was an urgent call from a VIP. I picked up the phone. “I’m Hailey.” Through the phone, Hailey Anderson’s voice sounded cold and arrogant. “You must be Dr. Scott, right? I bet you’ve read the application form. I’m only calling you to tell you two things. “Firstly, I’ve already transferred ten million dollars to the hospital’s bank account as the surgery fee. “Secondly, I’m already on the way to your hospital. We’ll reach the hospital in half an hour. “Get your team to immediately prepare for the surgery.” I held the phone and listened to the voice in my nightmares that jolted me awake numerous nights. My knuckles turned white from gripping the phone too hard. “Ms. Anderson,” I said into the phone’s speaker emotionlessly. “My surgery can’t be bought with your money.” She was silent for two seconds. Immediately after, her voice sharpened. “What do you mean?” “You heard me.” “Do you realize who you’re talking to? I’m Hailey Anderson. “Do you know how important Charlie is to the Parker family? He’s only fifteen years old this year. “Are you going to watch as a child dies? Are you still a doctor?” I stared at my own reflection on the window. A huge scar ran down the corner of my right eye to my cheekbone. Back then, I had smashed the wall erratically when I first learned the truth and injured myself. “Ms. Anderson, if you waste any more time, your dear child will only die sooner.” I slammed the phone down and pulled the cord out. Finn stood at my entrance and stared at me with his mouth agape. “Dr. Scott… You’re… you’re making the Parker family your nemesis.” “Get out and do your job.” I leaned back against the leather chair and flipped through another regular patient’s medical record. The strong wind was blowing against the glass. It was just like how it was that night ten years ago. Jayden’s body slowly stiffened in the cold underground morgue. On the other hand, Hailey and Seth Parker stood outside the ICU ward with their hands clasped tightly, praying and celebrating the resurgence of Charlie’s heartbeat with Jayden’s stolen heart. Chapter 2 Ten minutes later, the hospital CEO, Walter Brown, barged into my office. He was panting after running, and his forehead was covered with sweat. He held a fax document in his hand. “River, what are you doing?” Walter slammed the document against my table. “The Parker family has already gotten a permit for the medical helicopter. Soon, they’ll arrive at the helipad on the top floor.” I continued to write my medical report without any sign of stopping. “Walter, I have surgeries lined up for the next three years. I won’t allow anyone to skip the queue.” Walter was extremely antsy as he rubbed his hands. “But rules don’t have a pulse, and the child does. “Do you know who the Parker family is? They have just promised us that as long as you’re operating on Charlie, they’ll give us that plot of land in the city center for free! “The entire board is going crazy over this offer. “River, I know the past ten years have been difficult for you. You did nothing else but focus on improving your surgical skills. “You don’t need money, but the hospital needs it! Doesn’t your lab need money?” I paused and looked up at him. Back then, I had gone around to beg my relatives to lend me money because I could not afford the expensive medical bill at the private hospital. Hailey had still been married to me at that time, yet she had not lifted a finger. She had simply dismissed it as myocarditis resulting from a flu. She claimed that it was not so serious, and that I was just throwing a big fuss. In contrast, she had transferred a million dollars to Seth as Charlie’s medical fee, so Charlie could visit a specialist. After that, Jayden’s condition worsened, and he needed specific medicine to sustain his life. I had begged Hailey to remortgage that house under her name. She had slapped me and called me a loser. Then, she went overseas to watch the sunset with Seth. When she returned again, she brought a secret organ donation agreement with her. “Dr. Scott, it’s a human life! After all, the patient’s just a poor child. “We’re doctors, and we should stick to our oath.” Walter slapped his thigh and sounded like he was in pain. “Oath?” I leaned against the chair. “I lost my heart for these things a decade ago.” Walter was stunned. His mouth was gaping. He did not know what to say. I heard some footsteps outside of my office. Nurses gasped in the hallway. Finn stumbled into my office. “Dr. Brown, Dr. Scott, they’re here. The Parker family has blocked off the entire sixth floor.” I stood up and smoothed the collars on my white coat. Then, I put on a medical mask. Only my eyes were exposed. Two bodyguards dressed in all black slammed my door open. Hailey walked in with her heels clicking. She stepped into my office wearing a luxury coat. Time had been merciful to her looks. She still looked beautiful and arrogant. She glanced at my small office and then fixed her gaze on me. “So, you’re Dr. Scott. I heard that you’re highly eccentric.” Hailey took off her sunglasses and tossed it to her assistant. Walter immediately walked forward with a fawning smile. “Ms. Anderson, why are you here personally? Dr. Scott’s just stubborn. He’s reading the medical report…” Hailey pushed Walter aside and walked toward me. Then, she slammed a black card on my keyboard. “A hundred million dollars.” Hailey stared into my eyes. “I’m just buying two hours of your time. Get into the operating room now and save my son.” I stared at that black card as I felt nauseated. I did not even bother to sneer. “Ms. Anderson, there is a payment counter in the hospital. It’s only thirty dollars for a consultation. “You should pay the fee downstairs.” Hailey’s expression immediately darkened. Her delicate eyes were slightly throbbing. “River, do you think I’m negotiating with you?” She pressed both hands against my desk and leaned forward. “I’ve looked into your background. Ten years ago, you were just a poor, homeless man. You only got to where you are today because of your talent. “You suffered a lot when you were poor. Now that you’re successful, you’ve developed an odd personality to make up for your frail ego. “But you must know that to me, you’re nothing but a technician in a white coat. “I’m willing to buy your skills, and you should be honored because of that. Don’t be ridiculous.” Chapter 3 “Technician?” I repeated her words as I looked past her to stare at the stretcher. Charlie lay there. His face was pale and purplish, and he wore an oxygen mask. His breathing was short and rapid. Jayden’s heart lived within his heaving chest. It belonged to my blood. “Hailey, when you got Charlie’s donated heart, did you consider the possibility of a transplant rejection?” I stared at her and said softly. Hailey frowned and glared sharply at me. “What do you mean? You’re a doctor. Stop meddling into the patient’s personal life. “Charlie’s meant to live, that’s why God gave him that heart as a gift. “Even if there’s transplant rejection, it happens in medicine. We just need you to implant the artificial heart for him to get through this so he can live.” “A gift from God?” I laughed through my mask. Hailey’s face completely fell when she heard my laugh. She raised her hand and wanted to slap me. I grabbed her wrist tightly. “Ah!” She screamed in pain as cold sweat broke out on her forehead. “Let go of her!” Her bodyguard, Wyatt Benson, roared and charged forward. I flung her hand away abruptly, and Wyatt caught her as she stumbled backward. “Get out of my office.” I grabbed a disinfectant wipe on my desk and wiped my hands thoroughly. “Take your God-given son away and find yourself another doctor.” Hailey held her wrist and trembled in pain. “Sure, suit yourself, River. You’re stubborn.” She turned to Walter. “Walter, are you planning to close down this hospital? Are you tired of yearly donations worth tens of millions of dollars?” Walter’s face was pale from fear. He immediately shook his head. “No, Ms. Anderson, please don’t be mad. Dr. Scott’s acting crazy today…” “I don’t care what’s wrong with him. “If he’s not willing to operate on Charlie, I’ll immediately cut off Anderson Corporation’s supply of your specialized medication! “Dozens of patients with congenital heart diseases waiting for these medications in the ICU will lose access to their medicine tomorrow! Their blood will be on your hands! “I’ll stick to my words. If you don’t believe me, just try me.” Outside the hallway, all the medical staff who were watching the drama unfold suddenly fell silent. No one dared to utter a sound. The nurses bit their lower lips as panic flashed in their eyes. Blood drained out of Finn’s face as he stood there helplessly. Hailey lifted her chin arrogantly as her jaw tightened. She peered down at me. “River, just how stubborn do you plan to be? Look at everyone behind you. They need the money to raise their families. They need it to pay their debts. “Are you going to make them suffer because of your pathetic ego? “Are you going to be responsible for all of them?” She pointed at Finn. “You, go and prep the operating room. If there are any mishaps, I’ll make you disappear from the medical field.” Finn trembled and looked at me for help. Chapter 4 “River, I’m begging you, please.” Walter suddenly stepped forward and grabbed my arm tightly. He started to tear up. “Ms. Anderson will really carry her words out. If she stops the supply for the specialized medication, dozens of patients with congenital heart diseases in the ICU will die tomorrow!” Desperate cries suddenly exploded outside of my office. A few family members of the patients heard the news and charged into my office, ignoring the security guards’ attempts in stopping them. “Dr. Scott, I’m begging you, please save that child! You’re saving our lives too!” “You can’t let the child die! You’re a doctor!” Someone even charged forward to grab my white coat. “Is your heart made out of stone? Just because of your own pride, you’re willing to let a dozen patients die?” Finn could not help but cry. He collapsed onto the floor and was not willing to stand back up. “Dr. Scott, my mother’s still undergoing dialysis. I can’t lose this job.” Walter wiped the cold sweat from his forehead and pleaded with me before everyone. “River, on behalf of all the staff members of this hospital as well as the dozens of patients, I beg you to take this surgery!” I clenched my fists tightly. My knuckles turned white as my forehead throbbed. I stared at Hailey’s confident expression as my eyes slowly turned bloodshot. I heard a wheeling sound as someone seated on a wheelchair came into my office. The crowd was forced to make way for the man wearing an expensive coat. His assistant pushed his wheelchair into my office. It was Seth. It had been ten years, yet his artificially pleasant face still made me nauseated. “Everyone, please stop pressuring Dr. Scott.” Seth coughed weakly and wiped his mouth with his handkerchief. He turned to the patients’ family members and surveyed them with his calculative eyes. “After all, to Dr. Scott, Charlie’s life is not as important as his mood. “It’s too bad for those innocent children waiting for the specialized medication. All of them would have to suffer because of him.” Seth was smart for playing hard to get while stirring the pot. The patients’ family members immediately exploded as they started to yell at me. Some of them even threw the files on my desk at me. “No wonder your wife left you! You don’t even care about other people’s lives. A cold-blooded animal like you should die alone!” Back then, Seth had also put up a pretentious front and fooled Hailey. Together, they sent Jayden to hell. “Do you think as long as you hold the moral high ground, you’ll be able to force me to give in?” I slowly walked toward the stretcher and looked at Charlie, who was barely breathing. “Didn’t you just curse me by saying I deserve to die alone? “Let’s take a guess, if I’m operating on Charlie, do you think my scalpel will save him or slice through his aorta? “I’ll personally open his chest and cut the stolen heart out. Then, I’ll watch as his blood runs dry. “Do you still want me to operate on him?”

Watch & Promotions

About this novel